Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Re-setting the walkway

This lovely project was one that I've had on the list for two years (easily).  I originally installed the front walkways in 2006 using Pathmate stone molds and this one turned into a mess within year.  All the mortar between the stones cracked and crumbled.  What I eventually realized was that I hadn't done a very good job leveling out my stones during the initial install.  Since the stones hadn't been leveled, they started flexing when walked on, which lead to the mortar cracking. 

The initial install in 2006
It got to be entirely too easy to move re-setting the walkway stones down the list in favor of more pressing items, but since I'm on a "complete all outstanding projects" rampage the time has come.  


I found it easiest to work one row at time, this allowed me keep the original placement and shape without having to go back and guess.  As I pulled up each row, I removed all the old mortar and some of the bed materials under the stones.  Then I added new sand and look a lot of care in setting the stones back in LEVEL and solid. 

Resetting the stones, one row at a time
It took about 4 hours to complete this project, a new bag of mortar mix and a bag of sand.  I have hopes that this time I did a better job..ah, that learning curve! 

Finished reset of walkway stones

No comments:

Post a Comment